HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doall hunter
Hey Team

Firstly, my sincere apologies for not posting lately. Big shakeup at our company this past week with several of my colleagues across the country being shown the door. Fortunately I survived, though I was transferred to the neuroscience/psych division. I don't like it but my options are not very abundant in this economy.

I still haven't killed a bird yet and is starting to get under my skin. Ok, it's worse than that, it is starting to keep me up at night. Been close many times with a different reason each time. Some were my fault for trying to get too close, hens cut me off several times. and once a cropduster started spraying an adjacent field and turning that dang thing right over the top of me and a hot bird this past Sunday. That turkey never made another peep, and he was gobbling his fool head off prior to the P-57 showing up.

We have had a weird spring in TN with incredibly hot days. A front is supposed to move in tonight and cool thing off a bit. Turkey's are starting to get right and I will stay after them hard.

I want to see a flopper, bad. Real bad

Congrats Hog on your bird. Nice job.

Anybody heard from Fl Huntress yet?

Swamp ==> Happens to everybody. I've done it too.

MC

I didn't notice the MC at the bottom until you pointed it out doall.... I thought you were talkinga bout neuroscience and psych and I'm sitting here thinking.... wait a minute... I thought he was still in High school..... thought you might of needed to change your name to Doogie!

Well... came back from the farm yesterday. I'm supposed to be hunting today, but the weather is ridiculously cold and windy.... thats what we encountered in the mountains also.... didn't see or hear birds either day we hunted. Glassed a few struting way off on a distant hill far off our land. The wind really had us messed up. I don't know this place all that well and was kind of relying on the intel from my girlfriends brother and his best friend who have been hunting there all their lives and go to Va Tech about 30 minutes away. I am sure they put us in a good place, but as I wrote, the wind had them low and not talking.

As it turns out... the guy who I encountered on my first hunt does have permission to hunt the place. Apparently, he only bow hunts, but he also (so I've found out) hunts almost every day of the season. I haven't heard a bird on the property save the one I shot at since the season has opened.

On Thursday morning, he was set up not 75 yards from where I had shot the day before. I went back to about the same place, hoping the birds might still travel through. Considering that he is set up RIGHT SLAM UNDER the trees they usually roost in... no wonder they have dispersed.

I am fairly down about it... because I had these birds pegged. Nothing I can do about him, it sucks that he is overhunting it.... I don't think he will hurt the population much (this coming from some of the other folks I share the place with), but the pressure is going to keep the birds away. Its only abouty 150 acres... and he is right were the birds either roost or cross the swamp to access the place. He has been hunting the place for years... as he pointed out... and he wasn't there the first day I hunted (meaning he wasn't that close to me). Apparently he has deducted that I'm on to something.... frankly... I usually try to be, that is the point after all.

I'm still a bit burned about the miss last week... it is looking like that may well have been the golden chance I was looking for.... as I haven't even worked a bird in the four hunts since. It comes in waves sometimes... I'm keeping the chin up... got a hunt with my best friend later this week... and there is still a month worth of season.