HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 15 GO GO GADGET GOBBLERS
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Fieldmouse
Dominant Buck

Quick update, little fieldmouse had his shot stolen by my neighbor, lol. They got on some birds on Sat morning after making their first move at 8 out of the foggy river bottom. They had two gobblers they first though were moving away, when one crept up behind them. My neighbor saw him a ssec before fieldmousejr and just beofre he was going to shoot, he shot and downed the bird. We will have to rely on another spot to get a bird this year. Don't worry team, I'm yanking him out of school to for a day to make another hunt.

On a side note, I made a move about the same time at 8 because not much was happening at our first spot. We croosed a beaver dam on the way to another powerline when I heard what I though was another hunting group calling for a bird. Also heard a very loud gobble. We retreated back down into the woods and set up. With in 15 min I saw the first one of the flock coming through the woods. I told Jay to get ready and where they were. Had a gobbler at 40 yrds but unfortunately he missed. His second time ever hunting, his first chance and he's only shot a few times. He loved it though. I'm happy I made the right move at the right time and put him on the bird.

Question I have for the team. As the birds were coming through, the hens were in front with at least two gobblers following. They were agnling away at 40-45 yrds. Should I have hit my call again to try to turn the gobbler or would he even have come off the hens? This only my 3rd year but I have had success with finding the birds and getting them in front each year. Just wondering if there is something I should have done. Also, this year was the first year hearing the hens calling. Wow, the hens were very loud.