HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Couple of KS. birds
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Howler
Nontypical Buck

Default Couple of KS. birds

Went back to the farm in KS. for the early archery/youth turkey season this past weekend. Filled both tags, one on Friday morning and the other on Sat. morning. Friday mornings hunt was as quick as them come. The bird hit the ground about 100 yards from me and I gave him one series of yelps and he spotted the decoys and literally ran all the way to my set up. Shot him at 8 yards. He made it 40 yards from there. 8.5" beard.
Sat. morning I sat up on the other side of the same creek that I hunted on Friday and had quite a show. Had 6 full fan stutters come by, following hens. Got two of them to come over and check out the set up. Had the dekes set up a bit further out this time so the shot was 17 yards, broadside full strut. Nailed him but he made it back to the creek about 150 yards away. Found him easily just inside the tree line. 9.5" beard.
Used the pretty boy and hen both mornings. Used both a mouth call and a glass slate to do the callin'. Used Wasp jackhammers that I modified by rounding the tip a bit. Still got one pass through, and the arrow stayed in the 2nd bird. Doublebull worked flawlessly, like usual.