HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tricks for accuracy on a Rem 700?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 04:13 PM
dylan_b
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I've been told a few things that I'm going to apply to me 700 when I return to the states.

- Make sure the crown has absolutely no damage. If it has even a slight scratch, it will affect accuracy. Have it re-crowned.
- Make sure the barrel is not contacting the stock. Run a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock to looks for points of contact. There are specific tools for sanding down the barrel channel.
- Ensure the bolt handle isn't touching the stock when it's down. If it is, use a dremel and remove material from the stock until the handle doesn't touch.
the dollar bill thing isnt enough in most cases. about 2 years ago i was able to watch some testing being conducted on barrel harmonics and some interesting things came up in the slow motion video. to make a long story short, barrels vibrate ALOT more then most think and for thinner contoured barrels 1/16 to 1/8 clearance is needed depending on the caliber. and supporting the barrel does reduce the distance in the nodes of the vibration wave but it will increase the frequency so there is a chance that a load that might have worked in your gun might not be the most accurate anymore