HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunt Test/ Field Trials VS. Real Hunting?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
losthwy
Typical Buck

I hunt which why I first got a dog. Then ran JH, then SH, and finally MH. Then I began training (Field Trials) for the Qualifying for a couple of years. And now getting set to run All Age stakes. Training for all the basics are the same. It starts with a good foundation whether just hunting or running AA stakes.

No venue replicates hunting, they get as close as possible. But the skills required in Hunt Tests translate into a day of hunting. The average hunter would be well served by a SH. A dog that can mark a simple double and do simple blinds.

A little about Field Trials. They are very competitive and demanding of both the dog and the trainer. 90+% of the dogs that run AA stakes are trained by a pro either part or all of the year. There are only 5 people in my state that train their own dog for Field Trials and one of them lives in TX during the Winter. The rest rely on pros and most of their dogs are out of state with the pros over the Winter. Can it be done by an amateur? Yes. But it takes dedication on your part, and a good training group.

I suggest go watch some field events, Master Stake at a Hunt Test or Amateur/Open at a Field Trial, to get a feel for them. At the following link you can do a search for events in your area. www.entryexpress.net

Last edited by losthwy; 04-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.