HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Locating advice needed here.....
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Screamin Steel
Typical Buck

If you scout well, you will already know where the birds like to be in late morning and midday. Those prefferered loafing and strutting areas. I'd ease inot those areas and make a few calls. Start out softer and increase volume if you get no response. Easing into those areas and glassing form a distance is also a good idea to avoid bumping birds. If you have no idea where to srta and are going inot it blind, so to speak, I'd be running the ridgetops cutting agrressively every 75 yards conering alot of ground in a short time. If you get a response, stop...sit down and wait a few and hit hi again. Sometimes you get a shock gobble or courtesy gobble form a bird that isn't realy hot or intersted. If he won't answer againI keep moving unless I don't feel optimistic about finding any other willing birds. If he rips back a second time, its game on, but may have to move quickly to a better setup. Good luck. Sometimes those late morning birds can be real pushovers, lonesome and lookin' for love. They can come in running at times, so be ready!