HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Checking cam lean with an arrow
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 05:09 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 98Redline
On my bows, if I lay the arrow across the top cam it will run parallel to the riser and would point directly at the same edge of the bottom cam.

If you find that when held flat on the cam, that the arrow angles down across the riser or outward then your cams are leaning.

While this procedure works correctly for two cam bows and hybrids, I am not sure that it works correctly for the binary cammed bows like the Bowtechs. I thought I heard that there was a certain amount of cam lean that was built into them.

I don't think I'd say 'built in'... inevitable is probably more like it. Especially the binary's where the cables are all to the riser side of the string... you are going to have lean and there isn't much of anything you can do about it.

The center pivot bows have center track binary's.... where the cables run on either side of the string... this was a huge improvement.

Now, with the flex guard... they are attempting to have even less lean at full draw.... as the cables tighten. Its a great idea really. Anyone who has tooled around on AT has probably seen some of those shoot-through widgets that folks are making for bowtechs. Really clever stuff that works pretty good.

The other issue to think on is that the string track on both a single cam and a hybrid cam isn't perfectly straight up and down the bow. The idler on a single cam is centered, while the string track on the bottom cam is offset left (for a right handed shooter). That means your string is running right to left from top to bottom down the bow.... its only about 1/16" or so... but its doing it.

The Mathews/McPherson Monsters, the BT/Ross Carnivores, Dartons and a couple others I have seen have floating yokes both top and bottom that are designed (much like the floating yoke on a Hoyt) to evenly distribute cam lean. While not really allowing us to adjust it to speak of... it makes the lean exactly the same every time... and thats really what accurate shooting is all about... consistancy.