HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Survival - when things don't go "as planned"
Old 03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skiking
My biggest problem with them is that most people think, I have a GPS, it WILL tell me where I am every time I turn it on, and it WILL be accurate to +/- 100 ft even if they turn SA on. Those people then don't worry about packing a map and compass, and when they can't get a satellite fix, or one of the satellites they are using has a timing error, or the batteries die, they are up a creek without a paddle.

I have seen multipath errors of a 1/4 mile with a survey grade GPS that is accurate to +/- 0.02', if you don't think that your $100 Garmin is subject to the same error, then don't ever go into the woods relying on a GPS because you are one of the people that blindly pushes the "I BELIEVE" button.
You are absolutely right about many you things you say....again I get it. All I'm trying to say is that it's a great tool, not 100%, but not off enough to warrant not trusting it either. Your common sense should kick in if something doesn't look right....umm say like a printing error on your map. In all the years I've been using it in Utah I have never seen it be off more than 100ft or so. I know that because there have been many, many times walking out in the dark that it got me back to camp or the truck. I would've found my way anyway but the GPS got me there faster.

Yes I do carry a map just in case but I just don't think the "error" rate on a GPS is big enough to state that it's overrated insinuating that it's not a great survival tool. IMHO it's a wonderful survival tool.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 03-15-2010 at 12:27 PM.