HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got some shooting in today!
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Sharp Shooter
Nontypical Buck

Default Got some shooting in today!

I finally got the chance to go shooting this afternoon in some nice weather so I decided to take TC Renegade with the GM 62cal SB barrel on it.

One of my goals was to play around with my turkey load. The first thing I tried was 100gn KIK FFG, 2 Niro Cards, 100gn (1-3/8oz) of #5 shot, then half of a Nitro Card on top. 20yds. This is the first target. It put 8 pellets in the vitals. I think thats a dead turkey!

My second shot was 100gn FFG KIK, 1 Nitro Card, 1 Fiber Wad lubed with mink oil, 100gn (1-3/8oz) #5 shot, and half a Nitro Card on top. 20yds. This gave me 7 or 8 pellets in the vitals. Again, thats a dead turkey.

My next 3 shots were the same loads as above but everything started going south. I was not getting anymore than 2 pellets in the vitals. I did swab between shots and let me tell you, it was very hard swabbing and I was pulling lead out. I dont know what happened and why I was not getting the patterns I was earlier. Swabbing did not do anything either.

After I was done playing around with shot I got some roundballs out. I loaded 100gn FFG, 1 Nitro Card, half a Fiber Wad, then dropped the ball down and topped it with half a Nitro Card. I was pretty happy with the results. I intended to shoot 80-90gn of powder but forgot to change my measure from 100gn to 80 or 90gn. 100gn did just fine though. I shot 5 shots into a 3.5" group at a little over 35yds with one flyer.

Overall I was happy with my first few shots with my turkey loads but after that I dont know what happened and why my patterns went south. Any ideas?

I was happy with the roundballs but next time I might back down the charge and see if it makes a difference or not.

Kirk
Attached Images   

Last edited by Sharp Shooter; 03-07-2010 at 05:05 PM.