HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Education needed
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Screamin Steel
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
Yep. Thats during the spring turkey season here in VA.

Don't know the "why" behind it, but you got it right.
PA has a similar regulation, but no larger than no 4 lead or no2 steel. I belive the new hevi style of tungseten shot are also limited to #4 here in PA. I believe the initial logic behind it was to reduce hunter mortality as it was institiuted during a period of high accidental shooting rates. You have a much better chance surviving a load of #4 or smaller than with the large shot which will much more easily penetrate your vitals, esp at loner distcnaces, which I belive is where most of the shootings were hapenning (30 yards and beyond.) Not sure if I am 100% correct, but I believe that was the general idea behind those regulations. AS for the corect shot size, #2 would be a bad choice anyway...not a whole lot of pellets in that load, and we should always strive to shoot our birds in the head or neck, not the body, where the larger shot would have its only advantage. You'll find the most common choice of experienced turkey hunters is #4,5, or 6 shot....or the #7 in the heavyweight loads, as they hit like a #5 lead with alot more pellets. If you got the extra $ the Hevishot style loads can be some reallly good loads. If not, you can most assuredly kill turkeys to 40 yds with a standard 3" or 3 1/2" turkey load that's a lot easier on the wallet. What you want is a nice uniform pattern that centers where you aim. You'll probably want a turkey gun with interchangeable choke tubes and adjustable sights. Start off shooting at large sheets of paper or cardboard, regardless of where its hitting you just want a nice uniform pattern. Then try to find a load that still gives the uniformity (no big gaps) and puts the most pellets into a ten inch circle at 40 yds. That's your winner. Then adjust your sights and your ready for battle. It can be more involved than that, but it doesn't have to be. Take a Saturday and my guess is you'll find a load of #4,5,or 6 that gives you a pretty nice pattern. Good luck!