HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barrel Length vs Accuracy
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
DaveC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mauser06
hmmm wonder how much it would cost to have 4-6" hacked off my barrel and recrowned...
Originally Posted by mauser06

26" heavy barrel on a 22-250 is HEAVY lol...but, i like the weight for shooting but hate the weight to carry....but really dont carry it much...so i may as well leave her alone....
I was quoted $75.00..

I currently have 2 .308's. One in a pistol with a ~13" barrel (savage striker) and 1 in a rem 700 sps varmint w/ a 26" barrel.

Accuracy at 100 yards can be as good on either gun depending on if I do my part. I've had the 26" job pinging steel at 500 yards recently.

If I keep the 700 it will be getting the barrel cut down to 22 or 23" or a custom barrel added. 26" has lost its fun factor for me.

I think I'm just going to unload it and start over. (which brings me to my current barrel length/ caliber / rate of twist conundrum)

On the remmy, I don't care for the bluing job. I would bet the Ruger has more of a rust preventative quality to it.

Good luck with your decision.

Since you are buying a .308, keep an eye on the rate of twist - the 1:12 seems common for tactical/ sniper wanta be stuff and the 1:10 seems common on hunting rifles. From what I gather the 1:10 should prefer heavier bullets?