HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barrel Length vs Accuracy
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

No, this is incorrect to a point. Many, I mean many tests has been done with snubs and I have yet to seen any that can keep up with my performance center 460.

But I will make you a challenge to compete with mine. We can even put money on it.

I get 2.5MOA performance at 200 yards.

Bulls, the bullet has to stabilize. It has to impart spin enough to stabilize, and a 1/4 won't do that. I guantee you.
Did you read what I typed?

Also take into account the burn rate of the powder. If firing from a 2" barrel the burn rate will need to be faster in order to get equally consistent velocities as you would from a longer barrel with a slower burning powder. If you were to simply fire a cartridge that was developed for use in a 16" barrel carbine out of a 2" barrel the velocity spreads would be extreme to say the least.

There are a host of other factors that will come into play but assuming that the barrel length is sufficient to completely burn the available powder, and all other factors equal, the shorter barrel should be the ore accurate barrel.
The .460 isn't designed to be shot out of a 2" barrel. The velocity spreads from doing such would be all over the charts. There is far too much slow burning powder packed into that case to make it an accurate short barrel cartridge. Yes, there are 2" barrel 460's but the intent of these firearms is that of defense rather than accuracy. It would be like firing a 7mmSTW out of a 14" Encore with a bunch of R25 stuffed in the case. It isn't going to work very well.

But concerning your bet if you were to completely take away the human element and lock two 38 specials or 45 colts with 2" and 8" barrels in a ransom rest you would be surprised at the results. A bullet only requires about 1-2 inches of barrel to become stable. Barrel length has absolutely nothing to do with a bullet being stable other than generating enough velocity for a given twist rate and bullet length.

BTW, I think he was saying that the vast majority of factory published data, not reload data, is achieved through the use of a 24" long test barrel.

Last edited by bigbulls; 03-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.