HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barrel Length vs Accuracy
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
bigcountry

No, this is incorrect to a point. Many, I mean many tests has been done with snubs and I have yet to seen any that can keep up with my performance center 460.

But I will make you a challenge to compete with mine. We can even put money on it.

I get 2.5MOA performance at 200 yards.

Bulls, the bullet has to stabilize. It has to impart spin enough to stabilize, and a 1/4 won't do that. I guantee you.

Originally Posted by bigbulls
What you guys are referring to has more to do with sight radius with iron sights rather than the inerrant accuracy of a given barrel length.

You also have to take into account the type of firearm that the projectiles are fired from. A lever action rifle has a closed and sealed breach where as the revolver has a gap between the cylinder and the barrel where expanding gasses escape. A revolvers velocities will never be as consistent as they would be out of a sealed breach firearm and thus its accuracy will suffer.

Also take into account the burn rate of the powder. If firing from a 2" barrel the burn rate will need to be faster in order to get equally consistent velocities as you would from a longer barrel with a slower burning powder. If you were to simply fire a cartridge that was developed for use in a 16" barrel carbine out of a 2" barrel the velocity spreads would be extreme to say the least.

There are a host of other factors that will come into play but assuming that the barrel length is sufficient to completely burn the available powder, and all other factors equal, the shorter barrel should be the ore accurate barrel.