HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i need help
Thread: i need help
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 PM
RockyMtnGobblers
Typical Buck

I would set up above them with maybe 3 hens and a jake decoy or at least one hen and a jake decoy. Have the jake over the hen in the mating position. Get in close 25-100 yards make sure they cant see you at all, make some light tree calls when you hear the hens calling from the roost.

Then just before fly down flap your hat on your leg several times to sound like a hen flying down while you do the fly down cackle. Scratch the leaves on the ground and do some yelps. This should give you an edge and help pull the gobblers in. Nothing is fool proof but this works for me quite a bit.

Also I agree with Hunting Kuk if the above does not work I would set up that afternoon where they flew down that morning and set up the jake in a breeding position or close to the hen. Then if you still don't have a bird set up where they flew down the next morning. Also pay attention to where they go after fly down, they will be going to feed and strut, You can set up in this strutting area with your decoys before they get there and hunt that.
If your really good and lucky you may be able to sneak in there after the birds are already in it, I have done it but I was very lucky and I took my time.
If a gobbler cuts you off when you call, the odds are in your favor that he will come in. Also you can use these tips with or without decoys. Make sure your gun has a good pattern out to 40 yards.
Good luck!