HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone know how to break a gunshy dog?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
BuckRogers
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone know how to break a gunshy dog?

My aunt and uncle have adopted a mutt of sorts that has some sort of field spaniel in it. I took it out this past fall to help try to find a downed bird cause they live a half mile away. They said it was gunshy so I didnt bring a gun and kept him on a rope. Not expecting much we got out of the car and I took him through the area where the bird fell. Well eventually it got really birdy and then went on full point which totally threw me off gaurd and the pheasant ran around a bit and managed to take flight before I could pounce. It was past season by that point so I didnt have a gun.
My question for you is do you know any ways to break a gunshy dog? They say that it doesnt like loud noises.. I havent witnessed it personally because Ive only met the dog once but I think it has GREAT hunting potential because it listens good and obviously has a good nose and points birds. I think that its only a couple years old as well and is generally timid which might make the loud noises thing more severe looking than it really is. Thoughts? Also Im not hiring a professional for a mutt dog