HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When do you make the decision to shoot?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 12:40 PM
GTOHunter
Nontypical Buck

I've been Deer Hunting for over 30 years now and have shot several nice Deer over the years,so now I pass on the smaller Bucks in hopes of them getting bigger the following year.When I go out on opening day/weekend of Rifle Deer Season I hold out for a nice Buck that is at least 7-Points or bigger,I had a Young 4-Point Buck walk around my stand last year and watched a nice 8-Point Buck make a scrape and work a licking branch about 120 yards from my stand....I would have shot him but too many tree branches were in the way for a good clear shot and I was hoping my Friend would get a shot at him since he was cruising through the woods towards his stand.About 30 minutes later I ended up having a nice 9-Point Buck cross behind my stand and I shot him,after that I'm looking for a nice large Doe to shoot with my Bonus Tag.I have shot several nice Bucks over the past few years so I'm happy with getting a nice Big Doe for the meat or sharing it with Family and Friends,I also Bow Hunt so that gives me even more time out in the woods to Deer Hunt,I finally shot me a nice young 6-Point Buck with my Bow in 2006 so now I'm trying to get a larger Buck or a nice Doe,I won't shoot Fawns or Button Bucks with a Bow or Rifle and I have shot some decent Bucks that were running with and tending Doe's and I could have shot the Doe too...but I let them go because I figured they may be carrying the Bucks gene's and will have a Fawn or 2 later in the year!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-27-2010 at 12:43 PM.