HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recovery Rates of Bowhunting Deer
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 AM
fshafly2
Typical Buck

While cptleo1 makes some good points, I'd like to respond to a few of his comments.

Originally Posted by cptleo1
That 70% harvest rate someone mentioned sounded pretty good till I ran the numbers - If you hit 150 deer in your career - 45 would have hobbled off wounded, to die later
There is very little research on the mortality rates of unrecovered archery-wounded deer. Two published studies do report that most hit-but-not-recovered (HBNR) do survive wounding. The AR crowd claims that all HBNR deer die from their wounds - this is simply not true. We (bowhunters) need to be aware of this.

Originally Posted by cptleo1
I have read many of the wounding reports - new and old - and I believe the spread goes from 15 - 85% - This spread alone leads me to believe that they are not statistically viable.
I too have read either the wounding reports or their summaries, and I disagree with your assessment. There are 19 wounding studies/reports published between 1963 and 1989 that report wounding rates from 7% to 68% (average for all reports is 55%).

Here are wounding rates for the 4 most recent studies:

Publishing Date---- Wounding Rate ----------Remarks
1999 -------------------------17% -----------(IBEP, proficiency testing)
2002------------------------- 14% -----------(IBEP, proficiency testing)
2002------------------------- 13%----------- (Very high hunter density)
2008------------------------- 18%----------- (IBEP, proficiency testing)

These recent studies do show some statistical consistency, imho. The requirements for education (International Bowhunter Education Program) and proficiency testing may have some bearing.

-fsh

Last edited by fshafly2; 02-22-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Corrected "49 to 68%" to "7 to 68%