HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - stop complainin...start hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
DougE
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
I didn't say those three deer ruined the habitat, but in many areas the PGC and DCNR are managing the herd based on oak regeneration. BTW, the 3 deer that ruined the oak regeneration,so it had nothing to do with the condition of the surrounding habitat. Those three deer ruined the oak regeneration simply because it was a small exclosure and the deer preferred the oak over other browse species.

You blame the deer for the condition of todays forests when you should be blaming past forestry practices which created an even aged forest that resulted in over 50 % pole timber, which even you agree won't support many deer Furthermore you can't blame the invasive species on the deer since the deer didn't introduce them.
Nope,I've always fully ackowledged past forestry practices as a problem as well.Unfortunately,bad habitat is bad habitat.When you add too many deer to already poor habitat it takes less to have an impact.That's where we are now.However,the deer also certainly played a major role in the condition of the habitat today.It's a proven fact.

The deer certainly prefered the oak over the maple in that exclosure.That was my main point.It was simply to show how deer are picky eaters and hit the most prefered species first,altering the composition of the forest.That's what happened all accross the northern tier.Oak isn't the only tree to be concerned about but it does provide alot of food for a varity of wildlife including deer.I'd like to see it regenerate.