HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I arrowed my biggest buck and can-not see how I lost it.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
diamondrack
Fork Horn

A lot of things could have went wrong.. If you did liver it you should have been able to tell from the blood were the hit was... liver and lung blood are two different things.. If it was a liver shot and you tracked him within the 5-7 hours you probably jump him and pushed him, which they will then run pretty much until dead.. If you doubled lung him then he would have been dead within 100 yards of your stand.. A single lung shot generally should be left alone as well, they will sometimes die and sometimes live.. It all depends on what else you hit in the shot.. A thing to remember is when in doubt back out, go in the opposite direction, walk the long way around if you have to--this helps not to jump the wounded buck.. Generally speaking a liver shot buck that is not spoked or pushed will lie down within 100-150 yards and expire (it takes hours though)... What kind of angle was the buck at, distance of shot, hieght of treestand, most important what kind of blood did you have (pink and bubbly, dark red, was fatty or not, were there any clots in it?)