HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - stop complainin...start hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Not sure where I fit in this discussion. I havent' missed a hunt in ... as long as I can remember (aside from EXTREME weather). From opening day to they tell me I can no longer be in the woods with a weapon I'm in the woods. A good chunk of it on all day sits. I bust my rump in the off season both scouting and aquiring new land.

That being said, the deer numbers here in NY are WAY down. Not from lack of adapting or effort on my part. Simply put, they aren't around like they used to be. I believe it has to do with the herd slaughtering tags the NYS DEC started handing out like popcorn a few years ago. So be it IMO. I like it hard.

We have become an instant gratification society and I think it carries over to hunting. Not singling out anyone here or really trying to stereotype. I just think there are a lot of hunters that want to go out on opening day and expect it to be handed to them. Whack their deer or two on opening weekend and call it a season. Just not the case anymore. I think it gets more aggrevating for a lot of people just because the way it is today with time constraints, priorities, money, etc.... Almost like they are pressured to get it done quicker and with less deer that will walk in front of them, it aint going to happen.

I'm in a different situation that allows me to spend the time that I need to be successfull (or to not be successfull). Either way, personally thats how I like it. May sound crazy, but I want it to be hard. I want it to be VERY hard. I want to have to work harder than the next guy to get it done. More rewarding for me. Seriously what fun would it be to hop in a stand on opening day and whack a 125" buck? Then what?

Anyway... just my .02.