HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - stop complainin...start hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 AM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Typical troll tactic, to make an asinine, ignorant comment, then run and hide when the angry mob descends. Prolly some punk a$$ kid who has always hunted Daddy's money stand on his private lease. Or he had a little luck the last two years he was old enough to hunt..bagged a spike and a forkie 'cause he's still a jr. license....Hey, those are some pretty baseless accusations to make about the fella, being as I don't know him from Adam....So I retract those statements...and propose that it's best to do some homework, before I start stereotyping and profiling individuals and groups of people. Eh, Jr.?

Good point Steel!

Taint fair for either side to generalize but unfortunately it is human nature

I firmly believe that there are some out there that were spoiled by deer numbers that were far too high and some of these guys never really had to hunt. Those guys are easy to find after 9 AM on opening day of gun season. They're sitting in the car, the bar or the camp and yes, they are pretty loud when they complain about no deer.

That being said, I also believe that stereotype only belongs to a very few here. The type above does make up the majority of complainers I've seen in person in traditional deer country. Again, there's only a very few like that here.

It's also a fact that the guys still having good success aren't all sitting on a food plot on some paid private land honey hole although that'd probably be the most noticable group among the successful that frustrated folks would notice and remember when out and about during the seasons especially at the restaurants, bars and sporting stores.

So lets take the extremes on both ends out of the arguement.

Obviously there are folks going out and finding plenty of deer in darn good numbers in places we all could go to. Doug does well, Livbucks does well on public ground in 2F and so does our gang. Many more here have posted similar results. I'd bet though, that every one of those here who is having success where hunting is open to all have had to make changes. Sometimes it means hunting harder, maybe it means hunting smarter, maybe it means changing locations, maybe it means new strategies. All of those are likely to involve stepping outside of a comfort zone.
Some would say, "why should I have to?" To that I would say, it depends on how important seeing more deer is to you personally. My first boss had a very appropriate saying that I think applies here. The key to success is usually a matter of doing what unsuccessful people cant or wont do. That doesnt necessarily mean the successful people were eager to do those extra things themselves.