HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - wanna be sniper trend
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM
dylan_b
Fork Horn

i dont really look at a my rifles as long range rifles, although they fall into the catagory. i like to think of my "lr gun" as a adaptive rifle. its not over the top with only a 6-18 scope on it and it only carries a medium bull barrel. it is very much ideal from 0-600 yards, since its light enough to carry up a stand but heavy enough for some long range work.

if it had a lesser scope i wouldnt gain anything, since i can up that rifle and put the crosshair where i need it when the scopes on 6x. and while im on the topic of a scope, why do so many people make assumptions of the use on stronger scopes? a fixed 6x is a very effective scope for short range so why wont my 6-18 work if i keep it on 6x. and as for the turrets i dont use them all the time and its not like a have to dial them every time i take a shot. to have the dials is to have the option if the opportunity arises.

bipods are another area of fodder. well on my setup the bipod only comes on the hunt when im in a area when i know i will need it. the extra pound greatly outweighs the extra 200 + range i get from it. i guess some people just arent willing to work a little extra hard on a hunt to be able to better make use of there skill.

i dont think i can make a good arguement towards full bull barrels since i dont have the skill to really get the extra range from them. the extra weight helps without a doubt but the added accuracy from the improved harmonics over a medium bull or heavy sporter barrel doesnt help much within 750 yards.

i dont think there is any arguement towards aftermarket fiberglass stocks. they more stable in extreme weather and better ergonomics both help the user shoot better. the lighter weight also helps mediate the weight of some of the heavier scopes and barrels.

i know i dont realy do what some people call long range but i never intended to do so. adaption is the bottom line in a rifle and if that means learning to use a differnt style of scope and carrying a few more pounds to the field then i will do so. here is a article that i read that i find interesting on the subject and i think it will change a few minds http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...gs=pagenum%3D1