HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Different hunting scenerio...Would you still be successful?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

I don't agree...Having a few hunters come in and not be successful just means they weren't that good to begin with...

Now, I've hunted over 45 years and have hunted in 6 different states...I have a background in agriculture and can walk through the woods and identify different food sources and tell you which ones deer prefer...Growing up in the country and starting hunting before I started to school gives me a different insight than the casual hunter...

Bass fishing and deer hunting have much in common...Both need and stay near cover, both are edge animals, both are more agressive during the spawn/rut, both are found close to their feeding areas, both follow edges, both move and feed more during a falling barometer and when the moon is either overhead or underfoot...

Even big woods have edges, you mentioned swamps...Find that edge where the swamp meets the hardwood edge and you've got a good place to start...Throw in another edge of ceders or a creek or a ridge and you have an even better area...How about rivers??? They are always good for crossings and trails running parallel to them...

It's just a matter of finding a good area and picking up on fresh sign and being patient...