HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Draw Length - Need Help!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 05:22 AM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
That formula is pretty close on most "avg. build" people. Get someone w/ really long arms, broader than average shoulders, short arms, etc, and it can be off, but usually it pretty close for the "average" built person. As for the grip thing, you're probably "choke" gripping the bow, and you need to use a more relaxed open hand style grip...look at this article on Gripping the bow... http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...grip/index.htm
It has some good helpful tips. I rest the bow on the palm of my hand w/ nearly all of the pressure being on the base of my thumb, then I rest my finger tips gently curled on the front edge of the riser. A wrist-strap helps some people as well, as it allows them to relax a bit more without being afraid they are going to drop their bow.....

Also, I'd be cautious shooting a bow with strings that old, the last thing you want to do it end up with an injury from a hobby. Strings with that much age on them are like time bombs......
Not too bad advice here. No reason for me to add anything to it excpet to say that if I were you, having doubts about your draw length, I'd get a bow that is adjustable for draw length.

I've been shooting 36+ years and have learned to tweak my bow's draw length to the last 1/8" and I still refuse to get bows that are draw length specific. One reason is that most do not conform to the limb sticker anyway. Most bows draw as much as an inch longer than marked so beware.

With your wingspan 27" would be fairly close, but you still may want to play with it a bit. With a bow with a rotating module such as the Hoyt or Martin you can do this on your own and save a lot of trips to the shop.