HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is there a difference in bullets?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Prairie Wolf
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cuda67
I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. So as long as I stay within the starting load and the maximum load for the type of powder I'm using and the 130 GR bullet which I intend to use, I will be ok to experiment with different bullets like BT, SP, HP, etc, and the different brand of bullets to see which one's work best in my gun?
To answer your actual question. Some manufacturers will tell you not to do this. They want you to the recipes exactly as they tell you. Some bullet manufacturers list data for bullet weights, and tell you it is OK for different types. Sierra does this.

You can do it, but make sure you start with the starting load anytime you change anything.

Be especially careful switching types of bullets. For example. If you use a Barnes X bullet with Ballistic Tip Data. The Ballistic tip has a soft lead core. The barnes X doesn't, and also has a longer bearing surface. The barnes X may show pressure signs quicker. Triples shocks are more forgiving than the old Barnes X.

Certain types of bullets seem to hit max a lot quicker. A good example is the discontinued Winchester Failsafe. Winchester always listed data separately for it, and it always maxed out maybe 150 fps slower than other bullets of the same weight.

If you use moly coated bullets, you may need to actually increase the charge to obtain the same pressure and velocity as naked bullets.

To answer answer you question: The starting load should be OK, but the max load may not be the same if you switch bullet types. Edit: Or brand of bullet, primer, case, etc.

Learn to detect signs of overpressure.

Last edited by Prairie Wolf; 01-11-2010 at 08:55 AM.