HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey gun sling?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default I would advise installing swivel studs

My gunsling is an essential part of my equipment. I wouldn't go without it. I move a lot though getting back away from the road or double timing it to a gobbling bird. Once turkey season starts I never take it off my the Mossberg. See below for a description of my favorite gunsling.

Slings around barrels can cause one to miss - I've seen it.

My father and I turkey hunted a lot together when we were both drawn on turkey quota hunts on WMA land around here. One turkey per hunter, so when somebody killed one the other one unloaded their gun and called from behind. I had killed a nice turkey one day on one of these hunts and now was the caller. Dad was had a gun that day that didnt have swivel studs and was using a sling that simply looped around the barrel. He intended to take it off but we had to move a couple times on this turkey and were in a hurry. I was sitting behind him, calling, and this turkey is hammering it coming straight in like being pulled by a string.

He let the turkey get about 15-20 yards, I clucked to stand him up out of a strut, and then boom ---> turkey takes off running. Dang. Shot was wide open, no way to miss. I looked at the gun with that strap around the barrel and thought, uh oh. The strap obscured his view of the bead looking down the top of the barrel, so he had to tilt the muzzle upward to see the bead and subsequently shot over the turkey's head. We verified this when we got home later. He was shooting way high with that sling set-up around the barrrel.

Swivels studs aren't hard to install and if you don't want to do it yourself it is typically fairly inexpensive for a gunsmith to do it.

Back to your question - the link below is the best gunstrap made in my opinion. Everyone I give them to agrees. They make great presents for landowners that give you permission to hunt on their land, relatives, etc. If you go to the NWTF meeting in Nashville later in February they will have a booth there and you can pick one up. The are made from some type of rubber compound that remains flexible down to 40 below. I have used one for nearly 10 years and it hasn't stretch at all or lost any flexibility whatsoever. They hold the gun tight to you shoulder. They are adjusted to be snug to the gun so the sling doesn't droop and hang down when in the shooting position. You can loop one strap around your neck and carry the gun like a backpack. It stays on your shoulder if you are wearing a backpack. Easy to adjust. Simply the best there is in my opinion.

Video of the Slogan gunsling
http://www.plaza-paquette.ca/webaltraflex.wmv

Website
http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/

Mouthcaller

Last edited by mouthcaller; 01-08-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Mistake