HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What PA needs ....................
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
germain
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
What heat?I only get on the internet when I'm at work and today my secretary was out sick so I had to run the show by myself.On top of that,I got booted off for some reason and had to get a new password.I haven't really seen much to argue about Rich.I pretty much agreed with your post about the state forests.I'd love to see some groups offer to improve the habitat.Unfortunately,DCNR's hands are tied with what can be done.Around 50% of the state forests can never be cut and the rest is extremely limited.They're mandated to only cut 70 acres at a time and they can only have so many cuts within a certain distance from once another.They want the deer herd low enough so they don't have to fence and if the herd gets too high,they end up fencing off the better habitat.It's a lose lose situation for both hunters and deer.I agree that it sucks but there's nothing we can do about it and there's nothing the PGC can do about it.

If you say there's nothing being done to the SGL's in this area,I'll argue all day long about that.Some excellent groups do offer help and it shows with both better habitat and better deer numbers on the SGL's around here.There's two public browse cutting this month and next month.If you want to help,I'll gladly hook you up.I just got off the phone with a guy from the food and cover crew.He told me about a new clearcut that I want to check out.

There's Dougie....Hi Dougie.

I didn't say that about gamelands.Most that I've seen especially around here they do a great job.Problem is there's very very few deer on the SGL's down yonder.
As taxpayers we as hunters and other groups should have some input on habitat improvement on state forest lands.I realize the treehuggers put stipulations on cutting but that's a different story.
Don't forget now let me know when it suits to take our hike to see those good deer numbers.
Heat?Aren't you guys hot up yondy?We're in a heat wave here.