HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are depredation permits hypocritical???
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
SteveBNy
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
You would lose that bet in the scenario i was talking about.Around here most landowners have someone else carry out the killing of the deer. They dont give a damn how many deer that guy kills!!! He wants every one of them dead!!!! Guys that have had those permits before(myself included) will tell you the landowner/farmer usually will tell you to shoot as many as you can. I can tell you for a fact that the majority of guys that carry out those permits around these parts dont report every deer they kill on those permits. One other thing thats for sure...the landowner doesnt give a damn they kill more than they are supposed to. They get thrown in a hole somewhere and thats the end of it.
It is different around here. I know at least a dozen farms that get permits. Every one of them is also hunted, but just not enough deer can be shot during the regular seasons to control the numbers. Lots of big fields with small patches of woods and cover so only a few can effectively hunt and once you start, they get smart fast.

If the farms are taking deer not allowed or in excess of the permits given, they need to be reported. Again around me, the Encons issuing the permits take their use and misuse seriously. If yours don't, report higher up the chain.