HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Then I also have the hassle of sitting there reloading my bullets which I really don't care for. Seems much much easier to just go to Wal Mart and pick up a box of ammo to go shoot.
Based on this statement alone, I'd recommend you take the stuff you have back and not entertain any further notions about reloading.

At its heart, reloading requires great patience and attention to detail. If you're not willing or able to apply those, you're only going to find yourself frustrated, chances are with less money in your pockets and ammunition that doesn't perform.

To really gain the most advantage from reloading, you almost have to be a frequent shooter, as well. VAByrd's right - you'll load a few lots of duds before you find something that works the way you want it to.

I started reloading to "save money", too. It didn't take me long to realize (even for a high schooler) that the economics weren't going to back me up. I wasn't particularly fond of all the time it took away from all my other interests, either. Today, I reload for the "quiet time" it gives me, and for the additional measure of performance I now know how to achieve. To me, reloading is now about controlling as many variables present in a cartridge as I can, not necessarily about saving money. Nor have I been as subject to the whims of supply and demand as have many of my non-reloading buddies, who've often complained about how Wal-Mart can't keep their preferred color of ammunition in stock over the past year or so.

Reloading isn't for everyone. It's okay if you choose not to - the deer won't know the difference. You may not, either.