HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - a question and a quick story
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Scottdnramember
Fork Horn

Default a question and a quick story

Last night was a great hunt but bitter sweet. Very foggy, no wind, wet. 20 minutes of dim light left in shoot time and a abig doe is crusing by. Just what I was looking for for the freezer.

Black powder up ans the scope says yep, big deer, only one, head down. I say "BAAAA" she looks up and turns broadside. Big grey face doe. never seen that before. Line her up and boom. Smoke hangs forever. Found her about 50 yards from the hit with a perfect shot high just behind shoulder blades but...her head had two mushy spots! It a BIG shed buck! pushing 200# its the biggest deer I ever saw. Sure wish he had not shed as I'm sure this would be my new trophy. THe big hide will have to do.

A minute later my son shoots at a 5 pointer. (He spooked it and it was running) We looked a lot in the dark and could find no evidence of a hit. We are going bak in to look some more today.

Here is the question: You shoot a deer and can not find it until the next day. What is your opinion of the qulaity of the meat? It was about 35*F last night and about 40*F when shot...if shot. I'm about 80% sure he missed from the tale and lack of sign but hate to loose an animal if he did hit it.

Thoughts?....