HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - different calibers terminal performance on game
Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 PM
thndrchiken
Nontypical Buck

Of the three cartridges you listed I'd say that bullet construction plays a bigger part of DRT performance. All three are proven deer cartridges, now comes the question of what's more important, DRT or an exit wound providing for a blood trail. Obviously DRT is nice but you can't depend on it. From my experience with the 30-06 a heavy for caliber rapid expanding bullet like a 180 gr SST or Ballistic Tip produces more consistent DRT performance than a premium bullet like the Accubond or Partition. My 270 WSM all I have taken game with is the 130 gr Ballistic Tip so all I've experienced is DRT. My 35 Whelen has been the 250 gr Hornady RN. This is my first year with the Whelen on game but of the two deer I've shot with it one ran a total of 15 yds and crumpled, the other made it about 30 yds with a massive blood trail that even a blind man can follow. That being said I've yet to have a bullet produce an exit wound.
I would say that the smaller the bullet diameter the more important it is to transfer as much energy inside the animal so my preference would be for a Ballistic Tip or SST providing that they produce the desired accuracy.