HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - different calibers terminal performance on game
Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 AM
schoolcraft
Fork Horn

Default different calibers terminal performance on game

Ok.....lets take an idea scenario....Mature whitetail buck standing broadside at 150 yards. You line up the crosshairs right behind the shoulder for a double lung shot.
From hunters with more "game taking" experience.....If you were to take a large number of these shots (let's say 100), have you folks experienced any better or worse "terminal" performance on game. More or less DRT's? Deer running shorter distances with one caliber than another? ect....

.270 with 130gr Accubond (AB just used to keep things equal)

.30-06 with 150gr. or 165gr. Accubond

7mm. Rem. Mag with 140gr. or 150gr. Accubond

THE REASON I ASK......I know these 3 calibers (and many other) make excellent deer hunting rounds, and I've used all 3 of them quite a bit.
So far, here's what my personal experiences with them has been.

.270 Win. with 130gr. loads.
Deer seem to almost always run after the shot unless I've caught them through the shoulders. I've had a couple lung shot deer DRT, but the MAJORITY have run 30-50 yards with an "adequate" blood trail to follow.

.30-06 with 150gr. and 165gr. loads.
Seem to get more DRT's. The deer that have run made it about the same 30-50 yard distance before piling up. Blood trails have been heavier than those from the .270. I assume the slightly larger bullet diameter would be responsible???

7mm. Rem. Mag. 140gr. and 150gr. loads.
ALMOST all DRT performance on deer. I've had a couple that have ran 20-30 yards...but that's it. Most have pitched over like lightening hit them.

I very much a believer that shot PLACEMENT is vital....but also placing that shot with an adequate caliber as well.
Since all 3 of these calibers are MORE than adequate for whitetails, can ya'll give me some opinions on why I haven't seen almost identical results from all 3 calibers. Shot placement on all deer I've taken has been anywhere from good to excellent.

Help un-confuse me folks....