HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Screamin Steel
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by glew22
Not sure what the "official" QDMA stance is on the current PGC management program. However, last year I wrote the PGC because I thought there was a problem. I belive the herd in 2g was reduced below the carrying capacity. I commended the PGC for discontinuing the combined buck/doe season, it needed to be done. I also suggested that they continue to take action and reduce the antlerless allocation in 2g. Conversely, I suggested they increase antlerless allocations in 5c. There's way too many deer. I feel that down here, anyone who wants a doe license should have the option to do so, without worry they would be sold out.
I've been gone a few days. Okay, I'll respond by saying you need to get with the times, friend. In case you haven''t heard, the PGC is NOT managing deer in PA using any kind of a carrying capacity model as in years past. This management program is based on forest health (ir, regeneration of commercially valuable hardwoods and wildlflowers) and human conflict. The golas in 5A and 5B wrer modeled specifically to reduce human conflict. I'm disappointed that someone flaunting such lofty credentials would be so lost in these discussions. I'm sure the pGC thought so, too and got a chuckle when you mentioned carrying capacity in your letter. Probably had to dust off an old encyclopedia to even find the meaning of the term. Also, for someone who is so concerned about the habitat, I'm curious. Why would you want the herd in the NC counties to increase when the forests have not met the PGC's target goals for forest health? Seems counter productive, doesn't it? You know, that's quite a story about the 55 bucks on your QDM property. Wonder how may we would get on 250 acres of state forest land in the same amount of time? I enjoy the stories of your mega deer densities and all the monster bucks. Keep telling us, because it only reinforces my opinions of the QDM crowd, and it all boiling down to hunting in crazy high deer densities and antler greed. And if you've only killed one buck in six years practicing QDM on 250 acres, you've obviously been doing something terribly wrong. (Or you're just interested in "booners.") You know...if you really want to reduce that herd, you should open it all up to the public land hunters in the SE that are otherwise crammed into a handful of grossly overhunted gameless lands, where they are glad to shoot anything brown that runs by. I'm sure they would be glad to have a new place with a few deer and some dandy bucks to boot. You never DID mention which county you are from.