HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What PA needs ....................
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 AM
glew22
Typical Buck

[quote]
Originally Posted by bluebird2
That is not a viable option,since there are still a significant number of hunters who believe they are doing God's work by killing every legal deer they see
This is why I stand by qdma and conduct about 10-20 educational seminars every year. Education is the key. We need to reach out to these hunter's, and educate them on the way to properly balance deer with habitat; and no that does not mean shooting every deer in the woods. FYI, QDMA does NOT always support antlerless harvest.

The PGC has the authority and the responsibility for managing the herd and the only way hunters can control the herd is if they own or lease enough land and severely limit hunting pressure.
I think you're dead on right here with the exception of one oversight. Cooperatives. The can, do, and will work. Again, it goes back to education. Don't think that I'm suggesting that to have a working cooperative you need to set 125" minimums and shoot everything without antlers. They will work with a lot fewer restrictions than that. All that matters is those involved set common goals, and work together to reach those goals.