HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best dove load?
Thread: Best dove load?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 11:14 PM
extreme01
Spike

Winchester 12 gauge AA super handicap 7.5s. It shoots a 1 1/8 ounce of hard(or magnum) shot at 1250 FPS. I think the biggest thing you can do to kill doves without ringing their necks is shoot magnum shot. Magnum shot is usually found in target loads because its harder and patterns better. I have had good luck with various 1 ounce target loads going around 1300 fps, but prefer 1 1/8 ounce. The cheap loads that you buy at wal-mart that shoots 7/8 ounce of shot at 1350 fps is a lousy dove load. Those loads use the cheapest components, which means soft shot, cheaper propellants and a cheap wad. Their patterns stink. Rem. and federal game loads do use a 1 piece wad wich is desirable over winchester's 3 piece paper base wad, but still dont compare to a good target load. Rem. nitro 27's are a good load as well. And I also think 7.5s are more effective than 8s. I used to use 8s for my dove hunting, but since i switched to 7.5, i havent bit into a piece of shot at the dinner table. I think that 7.5s will also give you 10-15 more yards of effective killing range. I know some guys like 6s but i think 6s should only be used for late season hunts when doves have more plumage.