HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Benelli SuperNova Vs. Remington 870 Express
Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 AM
USNRETHunter
Fork Horn

I have a standard Nova, as well as two 870's in 20 gage (my son's bird and deer guns), and an 870 12ga deer gun. I've never had any of them jam. I do like the Benelli, but being chambered in 3.5", it is quite a bit heavier to tote around all day. I really like the feel of the Nova for wing shooting however. I have Boyd's thumbhole stocks on the 870 deer guns, something not available for the Benelli.

What does all that rambling say? IMHO, pick them both up and go with what feels the best for you. I (personally) believe the reliability is going to be just as good either way. As someone previously alluded to, Remington hasn't sold 10 million 870s by making a poor product. And, out of 10 million, you'll find at least a few bad apples.
Also, I'll second what ejpaul1 said with the Nova forearm, the rattliness (is that a word?) is an annoyance.

Also, check out the Remington 887, I played with it at the SHOT show this past January. It is actually a closer comparison and similar feel to the SuperNova.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...nitro-mag.aspx

And if you just can't decide...buy both. You'll never regret that.