HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Experts criticize DNR on CWD in WI
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Trapper22
Spike

Isn't CWD in the soil anyway??? So if they want to stop CWD the DNR will need to take over every inch of property, Strip it of all trees, Bring in dozers and earthmovers to strip the first few feet of dirt off the ground. This will save the deer herd. Sounds logical.

I haven't hunted up around Muscoda or in Richland county for a few years on the public ground because back then (2004?) I made about 8 trips up there and never saw a live deer then. I think that was the time you could shoot 4 deer per day. I doubt it's improved since then with the shoot all you can philosophy.

The DNR will continue to fly over areas that are game preserves or closed to hunting by landowners and claim there are too many deer in an area. They then will announce that the herd must be thinned bringing out hunters that will shoot all the deer they can on land that's open to hunting. This will not help on the property that's closed off and will instead make deer hunting even worse than it already is.

From what I saw a few years ago the CWD scare has ruined hunting on public land in that area anyway and getting permission on private ground is about impossible unless you're a relative or want to fork over a couple hundred bucks for the chance to shoot a deer.

I talked to a guy at gander mountain in Baraboo last week who moved here from MN. He said part of the reason he moved here was because of the deer hunting. He doesn't seem impressed and said he thought MN DNR was bad but they look like stars compared to WI.

One other question if the genuises do shoot deer from helicopters what are they going to do with them? Leave them lay and let the coyotes eat them? They'd be about that intelligent. I hope that scenario isn't going to happen.