HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cold weather gloves??
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 05:51 PM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Most likely a single layer glove won't cut it. Finding the right kind of glove to wear for shooting has always been a nemesis of mine. I finally settled on fleece gloves with Windstopper along with a polypropylene liner.(sometimes 2 liners) Then I tuck the hand inside a large pocket or muff. On top of that, I also utilize the Heat Factory large air activated warmer. Don't get the smaller ones for the hand, they don't cut it as well in real hunting weather.

The combination works well, but still can't keep my hand in the cold too long before I have to tuck it back in the pocket or muff. Sport Muffs are worth their weight in gold when it comes to cold weather.

The chemical or carbon packs with the iron powder are sold about everywhere this time of year. I got several Heat Factory packs for around .80¢ each when bought in bulk. Not a bad investment to keep my hands warm for a hunt.

I've always considered the battery heated gloves, but I guess as they say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I do have one good tip though. I bought a few pair of special combination wool socks to wear. The problem is that they are too long. I can't stand socks that are too long, as it's irritating for me. So, what I did was cut them so they are just right in length. What I did with the cuff part was to use them as wrist warmers! Some people wear leg warmers... these are like that, except they'll keep the wrist warm, which is turn helps keep the blood circulation to the hand warm. My layered shirts go on first, then I'll slip the "wrist warmers" on underneath them next to my skin. I can say it DOES work and adds to keep the hands warm!

Good luck,

iSnipe
The Arctic Shield gloves are two pair of gloves, the outer being waterproofed, insulated, etc. I have a thin pair of polypropylene gloves that I wear underneath and it seems to help, but I don't know that I could fit a second pair on. I have wanted to get a muff but haven't been able to swing it this season. Maybe I just have issues with the cold because we are talking Virginia weather here, not MN weather!! Rarely is it colder than 20 in the morning and heats up between 30-40 by 10:00!!