HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a debate on "cull" bucks
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 03:57 AM
zrexpilot
Nontypical Buck

. What I am trying to learn is..... Does it pay off in other states? I believe in Illinois and other row crop states that it probably doesn't. Can properties/ranches have so many bucks that dropping the ones that are percieved to be of lesser quality, deer with bigger racks will result? Guess I am just tired of hearing about it so much. Call it filling a tag or call it culling. But, don't use the "tone" like it is beneficial to the herd.

Doesnt matter what state, yes it works. Its just very hard to do in open country, free ranging deer, everyone and I mean every single hunter in the area would have to go by a set of rules.
On a high fence situation its much easier.
I just got back from a 1500 acre high fence ranch, 7 years ago when the fence went up there were few deer, this week theyre everywhere and I mean busting out the seams. So now he will start shooting deer to reduce the herd, old deer will go, older bucks with weak racks will go. the numbers have to be reduced. when you take out the culls, not only do you remove the genetics, you leave more nutrition for the younger bucks who show potential.