HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Marlin 1894 for Indiana Deer Hunting???
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

I previously mis-stated that Indiana law called for straight-walled pistol cartridges. I was wrong, as was the source I got this from. There is a caliber restriction (.358 or bigger) and a max length restriction. Google "358 BFG" if you want an idea the creative flexibility this allows.

44mag is great to 200 yds on the upper end with FTX bullets, but I'd opt for the Ruger M77 bolt. I've shot one, know someone who intentionally shot a buck between the eyes at 100 yds or so this year with it.

While strange on the surface, I think this is a smart law. I originally switched to ML-only hunting back in the day because my shotgun was inaccurate and I felt horrible making a few bad shots on deer as a result. Like a lot of people I was not in a position at the time to buy a fancy new gun with rifled barrel but I could get an accurate ML for a little over $100.

I am a fan of anything that allows more accuracy and more humane harvest of deer without comprimising safety. Even if you look at the 358 BFG, the ballistically best cartridge I have seen legal under the current Indiana law, you'll see that it is a relatively short-range weapon and is not going to result in bullet carry like the .30-class or smaller rounds, or the longer-case .358 variants. The combination of restricted length and relatively large diameter of bullet effectively limits the ballistics and power of the rounds being used while allowing more accurate short-range weapons.

Now we can get kids started with a better experience than a heavy recoiling and inaccurate 20-gauge or 12-gauge. When my daughter is old enough to hunt, she'll have either a ML or a light-loaded 44Mag in her hands.