HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 AM
whitetaildreamer
Nontypical Buck

Default Last day of 2009 hunt

Sorry guys but for what ever happenned, I;ve not been able to log onto the site for the last week. Well last weekend was our last weekend of hunting and was just overly tired from the week. Sat. was gusting like hell so nothing was moving at all. I was hoping to finish off but conditions would not allow it. So I had to head out Sunday morning and decided to head to the area where I shot the doe. Since I had pulled my stands from the area I was up way early so that I could get in and re-set. Put the stand up in the same tree from where I shot the doe from but after all the commotion of haulling the stand up the tree etc, and being still 20 min or so before could legally hunt, had a smoke and just watched the quiet of the bush. About 5 min after the start of legal hunting time I gave two low and long doe bleats followed by a single grunt. Less than 2 min later heard a twig snap and shortly after a mid sized buck walked onto the trail towards me. How I have this stand is that 45 degrees to the left there is a small clearing at about 200 yards that opens onto one of my 8 ft wide shooting lanes which comes directly to about 30 yards where it crosses directly infront of my stand (no bush cut here, designed so that I can lift the gun), then quarters away to the right at about 45 degrees on a very similar trail as the left. When sitting in the stand the look is very similar to what you see on the hunting shows. This shooting area is about 100 yards or so into the buch off an old logging road so that if you didn't know it existed, you'd never find it (on public land so careful where I place my stands). Well the buck came right down the trail, past the stand so I could lift the gun under cover and continued down the trail quartering away from me. It was so perfect, I wished I'd filmed it. At about 70 yards out, he stopped to check the air (turning alittle moew broadside), put the crosshairs just behind the front shoulder and then let the old 7mm mag do the rest. Went down like a brick. Little rack but I guess every inch helps our cause. If it was earlier in the season I most likely would have passed but being last day, I'll take what my god sents my way. I'll post the pick but have yet to try to score him. Hope all the rest of you continue to hunt safe and have the best of luck.
Attached Images