HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - another ho hum season here in upstate NY
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM
rh160kid
Typical Buck

So in your opinion what is this "something that happened that you can't figure out" that is not allowing you to reach your goal like in the past?? Is it more hunters killing deer? Is it loss of habitat? Is it a gun season that is too long? None of these things have really changed significantly in NYS to make deer hunting worse. In fact there are fewer hunters than ever so this should by itself help deer numbers. I think one needs to look at these type of things before they come to a conclusion that things are worse than they were only a few years ago.
honestly steve i dont know what it is!!! I have given it so much thought but cant put my finger on one thing thats the "answer". All those things you say are true, but there is no doubt imo there are far fewer deer (esp bigger bucks) here than say 5-6yrs ago. And let me say its not just me with this observation here. The local bow proshop is the perfect example, VERY few guys shooting bigger bucks and everyone complaining they are just not seeing deer. Also one of the local butchershops that the majority of guys around here use (btw i dont) is claiming the number of deer he has gotten this year is down over 50% so far this year from years past. Some guys say coyotes-i dont buy it. i personally saw alot more coyotes where i hunted years back than now, but some guys say they are overrun with them. The one thing i honestly believe is a BIG factor is how many of these DEC slaughter permits are being issued here. whatever the cause the effects from it cant be argued here,and like me most guys that hunt ALOT are gettin really frustrated/depressed because it just seems to be gettin worse every year. I count the days to next hunting season from the day the last one ends so when OCT. and Nov. come around and the hunting has gotten worse yet again.....Im sorry, to me thats depressing!!!