HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

He'd need to contact an attorney in Indiana. Every states laws are different regarding the reinstatement of rights, but it's usually something that must be granted by the Governor. This can range from the Governor simply reinstating the rights to vote and keep arms, without dispensing with the felony record, all the way to requiring a full pardon. With your friend being so recently rehabilitated, I think that it's doubtful that the Governor of Indiana would grant such a request (because he could fall off the wagon and get popped again tomorrow, creating great embarrassment for the Governor). I knew a guy that got busted for arson as an 18 year old back in the mid-1970's. He and some buddies torched a farmers barn. No one was in the barn, and no one got hurt, but he got a felony beef for arson. The judge deferred the sentence and he never even stepped foot in a state prison, but he did loose his rights. Last I knew (in 2003), he was still trying to get the Governor to reinstate his rights after ten years of requesting consideration. He's never been in trouble with the law since, but he's not been granted his request.

Mike