HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Preliminary WI Harvest Numbers Announced
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM
mr.mc54
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Handles
Isn't less deer shot what many of you were hoping for after last season? Many people were on here saying that they won't hunt or won't shoot does until the population increases. It looks like that has happend. So rather than complain, you should be happy right? Fewer deer shot this year = more deer next year.
I was one of the guys who said; no more does till they rebound. It has happened on our land, with one exception,young hunters can kill anything. Your calculation is correct,Handles,however we are upset that even though the herd is down, the DNR is promoting a longer season. I have talked to alot of guys who feel the DNR is ramming this (longer season) deal down their throat weather we agree or not.

I do think the lack of hunter participation is directly related to the lack of deer. The DNR pushes through the mentorship program, I might add, only for the money. I am not against this, its their out-right greed that will ruine deer hunting, i'm afraid. I know from what we saw, that the deer herd in our area is very low and a longer season may totally destroy it all together.