HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on flea & tick control
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
birddog3412
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by madvilledoc
1cc per 20 is much too high of a dose. About a third of that is more appropriate.

Ivermectin is not the main ingredient in Interceptor. That would be milbemycin oxime. Ivomec is not even in it. It is the main ingredient, however, of heartgard.

Panacur (fenbendazole) is not generally used to treat tapeworms. It does get the Taenia sp. of tapeworms, but does not even touch the more common dog tapeworm. Praziquantel (Drontal/Droncit, Cesteved) is the drug of choice here.

Pour-on Ivermectin (not orally) has shown some ability against fleas (doesn't do anything to ticks). However even the cheap over-the-counter permethrins (i.e. Sargents, Bio-spot, Adams, etc) are more effective. The fact is, when it comes to fleas and ticks, there are no perfect products, at least none that I have found. Frontline is my personal favorite and what I use on my own dogs, but it isn't perfect. And if you are in a Lyme endemic area, Frontline is tough to beat.

City vets may not recommend Ivermectin, but that isn't necessary so for rural vets like myself. Try telling a guy who has 20 hunting dogs that he needs to put every one of them on Interceptor. Isn't going to happen. Ivermec is the perfect solution in cases like this. However it is also important to note that you should NEVER start ivermectin in dogs over 6 months of age without first establishing whether or not the dog has heartworms. If he does, ivermectin can be very harmful, fatal even. And as you mentioned, Ivermection should never be given to Collies and collie-related breeds.

Thanks for straightening out some of what I said (the difference in interceptor and heart guard, I got them confused) You say I am giving to much ivomec, even though I am only using .27% solution, and Illinois hunter says he uses 1% solution. Guess I have just been lucky not getting the fleas and ticks, not saying I do not pull an occasional tick off a dog after being afield in the summer.