HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Access to new farm bring success
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 PM
frocb
Fork Horn

Default Access to new farm bring success

I live in southcentral PA and attained access to a farm in Northern Md. It is great to know you can still find a farm where you can put in a little hard work for the farmer and gain access to hunt his property. I had been hunted couple of days on the farm as it always takes a bit to learn where the deer tend to run. I had hunted on hunted all day on Oct. 31 seeing some does in the morning. The rest of the day was very quite and to top it off it starting raining a little after for. It got fairly heavy for 10 or 15 minutes and didn't look like it would stop so I packed up and headed out. Only to get to my vehicle and have it stop. Instead of wasting the last 30 minutes of light I thought I would do a little scouting. Walked a strip of woods at the top of a corn field to find some fairly fresh scrapes and caught movement. About 60 yards ahead of me was a buck a 3 does feeding on acorns. I didn't have my bow (as luck would have it), so I watched until they fed out of sight and made a mental note.

I didn't get back down to the farm until Friday November 6th. Got in the woods around 1 o'clock to survey the woods and find a suitable tree for my climber. Once I find the spot I clear just a few limbs for shooting lanes, laid a scent trail down with buck bomb and settled in my tree. I was settled in the tree by 2:30pm and sat down to relax and let the wood calm down. At 3:00 I got up to investigate some noise in a funnel to my left and seen a deer pass by below. I was standing there watching that funnel for any movement. About 15 minutes pass by and I hear foot steps right behind me at about 5 o'clock and they are close. All I can think is a deer is standing down there looking at me. But after it would only take a few steps, pause, a few more steps, pause. So I started shiifting my weight around to see what was behind me. As I was about 3/4's of the way around I spied this fella with his nose to the ground on the scent trail I made about 2 hours prior. I came to full draw and made a solid double lung shot at 15yds with the deer quartering away. He ran about 45 yards and piled up in sight. I was an awesome afternoon!
Attached Images