HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Will shoulder shot deer head to water?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 AM
gbrownlee
Fork Horn

Default Will shoulder shot deer head to water?

Guys, I know these lost deer treads get old, but I am pretty confident I will find this guy. I shot a deer the other night and hit him about 4" in front of where I was aiming. I heard a loud "crack" when it hit him, so I knew it hit the shoulder and he spun and took off. I found decent blood up to the point where the arrow broke off, then the blood trail got really tough to follow. Upon inspecting my arrow, about 10-12" of arrow broke off inside him and there was blood 4" down what was left. I checked the weather that night and it said that it was supposed to rain the next evening, so I thought I had at least a few hours to look(more like 7 or 8 since I planned on getting there at sunup to look). I backed out since we couldn't find much blood and had tracked him about 150 yards. That night I was awaken at 4 am to the sound of pouring rain (I hate weathermen by the way). We went back the next day, still in the pouring rain, and did a grid search since the blood trail was completely gone and turned up nothing. I have full intentions of finding my deer, although I still feel horribel the meat will be gone. I got to thinking that there is a pond about 250 yards from where we last found blood and in the direction he was running. I know gut shot deer will run to water, but will one that may be hit in one lung? I plan on looking there anyway, and walking under the wind on saturday afternoon and trying to smell him. Thanks for your help.