HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brittany Spaniel Training question
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 05:26 PM
seattlesetters
Typical Buck

Default RE: Brittany Spaniel Training question

I would go out and buy the excellent book by James B. Spencer, " Point! Training the All-Seasons Birddog" and try to follow it from the section on yard training. His book works really well for those who have facilities and equipment or those who do not, and the methods are sound and humane.

Yours is a pointing dog by breed. For starters, I' d recommend retrieving games and yard work (come, release, kennel, turn, whoa and heel). After you have a handle on these commands (especially whoa), you can introduce birds to the dog.

All you really need in additional equipment is a check cord for the most basic training. If you like it, the sky is the limit.

I am in your boots, as well...sort of. I am going tomorrow to pick up a new pup and a 2-year-old English Setter that has never been off of a tie out. It is part rescue mission, and part training challenge. She is a pretty dog with impeccable breeding and a sweet disposition, and I have vowed that I am going to train her to be a birddog...the life for which she was bred. I know it will take patience, and I have my work cut out for me, but she is going to be loved and is going to be a special member of the family so I will make it work. Below is a picture of the puppy.

Good luck!!