HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Steak Thickness
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

For deer backstrap, I take each backstrap (one on left, one on the right) and cut it in half. I then wrap this set of two tubes of meat in plastic wrap. I wrap again. I wrap a third time. Triple wrapping. I then wrap in plastic coated freezer paper. This can be stored in the freezer for several years without any diminishment in the quality of the meat that I have discerned. I then thaw this package out and cut into steaks. Like someone mentioned above, I think waiting to cut the meat into steaks until later is a good idea. But that is just my opinion. For backstraps, I cut the meat about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. I do roughly the same thing for elk backstrap, but in the case of elk I may cut each backstrap (one left, one right) into four pieces -- each piece about 2 LBS to 2 1/2 LBS. In the case of elk backstrap, which is larger in diameter, I do not cut the piece in half because it is shorter (for the same weight, because of the larger diamter), and just triple wrap in plastic wrap then wrap in freezer paper.

With my elk this year I cut steaks out of the leading edge of the rear quarters, based on some information on cutting veal I read in a butchering book. I will probably start doing this with venison in the future. I like to eat steaks more than roasts. I would guess these steaks are not as tender as backstrap steaks, but this may be managed by marinading them longer, I would guess.