HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Butchering deer for xtra cash?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
vabyrd
Banned

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
im gonna charge 50$ skinned,quartered, w/ backstraps and scrap meat boned out. 100$ completely boned out, bagged and labeled, and 50$ for scraps ground into burger, what do you think? most places around here get 125$ just boned out meat w/ basic cuts. some even requrie it pre skinned and the turn around is a couple weeks. any deer I take is gonna be back in 2 days.
Get some Dexter-Russell boning knives. It's what your grocery store butcher uses. Great blades, high carbon, good edge, plus you can get a 6" boning knife for about $15 on ebay. Hats off to a fella taking the dirty work. Quite frankly nothing ticks me off more than a "hunter" (and I mean quote!) that won't learn how to process their own meat. I don't care what the excuse is, hunting is from scouting to the pan. Knuckheads will spend weeks tweaking a stupid load for their rifle, but won't educate themselves on how to make steaks, roasts, and loin. Maybe I'm nuts, but the best part of the hunt is when its all over and I'm sitting at a table with a glass of merlot, a piece of venison, and good company. And for crying out loud, the guys that make jerky out of everything....What??

It's a shame that most posts are about the best caliber and scores rather than the real reason for hunting.